Movie about Houston from 1982 – 2012
I went to Discovery Green Friday evening to check out Stephen Klineberg’s documentary – Interesting Times. I’d say there were approximately 200-300 people on the lawn enjoying the nice weather along with some live music and entertainment. After getting bitten 3 times by mosquitos, I was about to call it a night and leave, but finally they showed the movie.
Interesting Times takes a look at Houston’s economic and demographic development for the past 30 years. For the past thirty years, Rice University Professor Stephen Klineberg has been surveying a random sample of people living in Harris County and asking identical questions:
- How do you see the world?
- What is happening in your life?
- What is your job outlook?
For me this movie was an eye opener. Did you know that:
- 75% of all those younger than the age of 30 are not Anglos
- the future of Houston’s prosperity may depend on nano-technology
- there is a plan to plant 1,000,000 trees in the city
It is a great short movie and special thanks to Klineberg for putting the results of his study on film. If you’d like to see the film, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out a request form on the institute’s Web site at www.kinder.rice.edu.